Friday, April 20, 2012

Stay put? Huh?

I live a very nomadic lifestyle. For the last 2 years, I have been on the half and half plan...half the year in Alaska, half the year wherever else. In 2010/2011 it was Ohio/Connecticut/Massachusetts. 2011/2012 (this winter), it was Hawaii/Connecticut/Seattle.

But before the half and half plan, I had been in Ohio for two and a half years (although I moved 3 times). Before that-Ireland, Greece and Italy. Connecticut, Georgia, Kansas, Connecticut, Ohio. Massachusetts, Ohio, Michigan, Ohio, and New York City. That is in reverse order going back to Connecticut where I grew up. Even then, my parents moved us three different times and once to Ohio.

I move. This is what I do. I don't know if it's instinctual. I don't know if it's learned behavior from my parents. I don't know if it's boredom, or an unending curiosity and love of adventure. Maybe I was from a nomadic tribe in my past life. Maybe all of the above. What I do know though, is that it has become my career. Somehow, I have created a life where I don't live to work, but work to live. My focus has never really been on a financial career, but a career of self and world exploration. I have found ways to travel with practically nothing, and fully immerse myself in the environment I find myself in. I have met many wonderful people along the way and have such a diverse group of incredibly close friends all over the world. I love it.

But recently I have been craving a home base. A space that is not borrowed or shared with anyone else. A place I can "hang my hat" so to speak, but still keep the freedom of travel and exploration. This is a yearning I have been trying to ignore for a few years now because, quite honestly, I don't have time for it. Well, this week, I have made time.

I have made a decision to stay put. I know, I know...crazy notion, I know! It is actually a first for me, and I have to admit that I am a little bit terrified. I don't know how this will turn out and I can't even pretend to fantasize about what outcome I am looking for, because I don't know how to think outside the suitcase. It's a scary place to be for me, but also thrilling. I have made a decision in the healthy direction I want to be moving and I can't wait to see what comes of it. I had positive premonitions of 2012 and so far, it is turning out to be one of my favorite years.

No comments: