Wednesday, April 18, 2012

It's not personal...

When did this become the disclaimer for poor behavior? Don't people realize that when they start a sentence like that, we all know that whatever's next is going to hurt? It goes right along with, "I know how this is going to sound, but..." and, "Don't take this the wrong way...". Are you kidding me?

I've been practicing the lesson of not taking anything personally as instructed in The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. But it is a very tough practice. Especially when people are excusing their bad behavior and judgements with disclaimers. I understand that if someone is going out of their way to hurt me, then it most likely has to do with their own issues. But the fact that another person would knowingly hurt me, is a hard pill to swallow even when I know it has nothing to do with me.

And on another subject, stating, "That's just the way I am", should not excuse ignorance. Just because you can admit it, does not mean you're excused. It's one thing to not know any better, it's another to know you SHOULD know better.

Can you tell I've had a good week? Not so much. It's been a painful week, but also a week filled with personal growth. I started a juice cleanse 3 days ago along with meditation and much contemplation, I have made some serious changes towards a healthier me. These changes have helped me realize that standing up for yourself isn't always easy or painless, but it's always necessary. 

No comments: