Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Day # (who knows)...in Cork

Howdy again. I have no idea what day or time it is or how many days I've been here. First of all, there has not been ONE clock that shows the right time since I've been here. Not in the Buses, the Train station, Hostels or pubs. Today I asked what time it was because there were 2 clocks with different times on them. One said 8:28, the other said 1:10. It was 2:45. Nice. I guess I should have bought a watch. I do however like the idea of a place that doesn't really care enough about time to make sure their clocks are right.

The rest of yesterday and today have gone MUCH smoother from the previous day. After Khara left yesterday, I was one of the only people at the Hostel last night. So I went to a movie, there's a SHOCKER! You know what though? It was so nice. The theater was full, but there were no popcorn CHOMPERS, no chatty Kathy's, no cell phone's ringing, no BlueTooth lights or texters. No one sat directly behind me when the rest of the row was empty, or directly next to me for that matter. I felt like I was the only one in the theater...AH now that's the life.

They don't use straws all that much here. I asked for one yesterday and they had to go into the storage closet looking for one. Khara made fun of me, even though by the end of the day, she was drinking her hot tea through one...my job is done here. Martzifying the world one person at a time.

I got up this morning and got on a bus to Cork. I was going to go to Castletownebere, but as it turns out, the Hostel I made a reservation at, went out of business...another Shocker. And that was the only Hostel there. So, I'm staying in Cork and trying to get in touch with the Retreat Center to see if I can come a day early. Again, as it turns out, the ONLY bus out to Castletownebere is tomorrow. YIKES! And unfortunately, I can't get in touch with the Retreat Center...this should be good...do I take my chances and just go? No buses leave there again until Friday and there's nowhere to stay...EH, why not? What else do I have to do?

Well, i could keep going on forever, but I have no idea if anyone's even reading this. One more little fun ditty though. Today, walking around in Cork, there was a sign in a Pub window that said "Tuesday night's Texes Hold'em"...I wonder what they think Texes is?

Keep your fingers crossed for me-R

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm no longer a dork. I now see the word to verify, but I swear it wasn't there the last time I tried this. Well, here's my comment- get on the bus! I'm sure the monks don't have any idea of time either, they'll just think that was when you were supposed to be there. Be careful and remember- "Even if you're not too close, tie yourself down."

Anonymous said...

That's my girl. It's the "go with the flow" plan. I'm so glad you made it. I take it Ester never came back. On to bigger and better things. How do these things always find us?

Nikki said...

I am guessing you don't have a tent somewhere in that 50# bag...I am with Lea. Get on the bus!

Glad you made it...I had visions of our west coast trip

Unknown said...

I can’t believe you convinced someone that drinking tea from a straw was cool!! It’s amazing how powerful you really are!

Do we really need to tell you to GET ON THE BUS!! Come on—where is your sense of adventure? For god sakes, girl—You don’t have to worry about the monks. They’ll just sense that your plans have changed and will be ready and waiting for your arrival. Of course, if you need a better reason to GET ON THE BUS, just think of us here in the States. We’re in need of another Martzy adventure. We all know that the bus is the perfect setting for a great story!!

Glad to see you made it and that the fun has begun. Safe travels….

BTW- this blog thing is almost as good as the phone!