Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Happy Wednesday

Believe it or not, I'm starting to get used to the isolation...I can't believe I'm even saying that. Last week I was going absolutely stir crazy because I couldn't go ANYWHERE!!! But this week...not so much. Wierd! It's amazing how you improvise or go without when you have to.

I'm loving the guests at the lodge. Dealing with vacationers is so easy. And I love how much of a mystery Alaska is to everyone. The other day I overheard a guest talking to his friend about the price of something and said "you wouldn't get this for that price in the States"...I wanted to politely clear my throat and saunter over to quietly point out that alas, "you ARE in the States!".

But seriously, it is amazing here. Everyday I look out over the mountains and the treetops and just can't believe I'm here. Although, I have yet to see a Moose. In fact, up until yesterday, I had yet to see more than a Robin, a Seagull and a Raven. The big joke was that I hadn't even seen an Alaskan squirrel. My roommate, Christy, said she thinks she saw a squirrel, but it was so small she thought it was a chipmunk. I thought that was crazy because EVERYTHING is HUGE in Alaska. But two days ago, I saw an Alaskan squirrel. And man was it tiny. That was my first Alaska wildlife on this trip, can you believe it? Then, while hiking in my backyard :), a Bald Eagle flew right up in front of me. It was wonderful. Christy and I take midnight hikes during twilight to stalk Moose. So far nothing. There are Bears around too, but I'm not in too much of a hurry to see one of those up close. Maybe from a distance...in a vehicle would be nice.

Today we took an employee trip to a State Park called Liberty Falls. It was beautiful. Every turn on the road, every mountain, every tree is fascinating here. Unfortunately it is an average of at least an hour to get anywhere here...awesome. But it is always worth it.

I think that's about it for now. I'm hoping I will be able to attach a picture album to this blog so you can see more than just one or two pics. Have a happy Wednesday!-Reebs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the new look of your blog. Glad everything is working out so well. Love the pictures!
-Sar