Thursday, May 17, 2007

Still in Italy

WOW! I can't possibly fill you in on all I've been up to since my last blog, but I'll try.

I spent 5 days in Rome and absolutely loved it. It was weird though being the single person traveler in one of the romantic places on earth. I was about to start charging for taking pictures for couples in love. Actually, I started volunteering when I'd see two lovebirds trying to hold the camera out in front of them with some massive ancient monument behind them. After awhile, I started even taking pictures of them with my own camera.

I stayed in a campgrounds outside the city, that was just the most beautiful place. The accomodations were lacking a little, but hey, what can you do? My favorite thing in Rome was BY FAR the Sistine Chapel. Actually, the entire Vatican was so much more than I ever could have imagined. An Artists' dream. I am now a huge fan of Renaissance Art. I would go back there a million times over.

After Rome, I made my way to Florence, in the Tuscany region, where I stayed at another campgrounds. This one was in an ancient olive grove on a hill above the city. A friend of mine from Ireland met me there and we stayed in Florence for 9 days. We went to churches and museums galore. Each one outdoing the last with sculpture, architecture and artwork. I think I just walked around with my jaw on the ground. Seeing the statue of "David" and the Academia museum was a truly moving experience. My Art History classes came flooding back into my head. Pictures definately don't do any justice.

We took a day trip to Pisa to see the leaning tower, which is definately LEANING! That was an absurd experiece walking up to a building that is slowly falling over. That city was wonderful. It was smaller and less touristy and we got to play frisbee for a few hours on the green next to the leaning tower and the bapistry that was there. That was surreal.

Yesterday, we decided to leave Florence and maybe explore some of the coast. So without any real plans we got on a train and headed West. At one of the train stations along the way, we met a group of Canadians who were headed in the same direction, so we traveled along with them to the coast. Afetr talking and walking around with them in this beautiful little village, all five of us ended up renting an apartment for a night. The area is called Cinque Terre which means Five Towns and it's a National Park around these Five seaside villages. We are going to hike the next few days between the five towns and explore the region. It's amazing!

After that, I'm not sure. I had decided not to get a job in Italy because I wanted to go back to Ireland, back to the Retreat Center. But unfortunately, the Retreat Center is full right now and they don't need me. So, I'm roaming aimlessly for the moment. I will kepp you all updated.
I miss and love all of you- Ciao!Me

10 comments:

Mary said...

Wow what a time you're having!!
Are you going to Tuscany at all?? I thought it sounded like fun to work with the olives. It's hard to believe that the month of May is already half gone. June is right around the corner. Keep the adventures going.
Love
Mary

D.Lee said...

Hey Beck,
I'm so proud of you for doing what your doing.....I remember you saying how much you wanted to travel, and guess what your traveling. Anyway, sounds like your seeing some of the most interesting and beautiful sights that anyone can imagine.

Unknown said...

You camp outside of rome, I camp in my backyard. I don't see that much of a difference... lol... Sounds fantastic... Never pictured you at the Vatican, but at least its still standing, No lighting right??.... hehehe... We love ya Bek!!!!!! Mary says" I love you, I love you, I love you, etc.... you can figure out the rest..
Love,
Jule

Nancy said...

So glad you are taking in the full effects of the "old" art, and enjoying and appreciating so! Our country certainly lacks in true art, doesn't it? When you see what it is Europe, there's no comparison. Keep on truckin' & I'll keep readin'!!!!
Love you and miss you, Aunt Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi there. everything sounds so wonderful, wish I was there too. Its geat to see all the great works of art and soak it all in. And here we are soaking in work, 85 degree weather and tons of fun. Life is good but not as good or interesting as yours. Take care, enjoy and be safe. Hugs, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rebecca,

We love reading about your adventures. Can't wait to see all the pictures. You're in our thoughts and prayers daily.

Love,

Mrs. H.

Anonymous said...

DARLING,
Italy was by far my favorite country. Get a job there, you will not regret it! If you get a chance, go to Capri...they have this wonderful drink called lemon chello (sp?) and an ocean cave called the blue something. I forget the name, but it is a cave in the ocean you can swim in that has the most beautiful color of blue. It is hard to describe, something about how the light filters into the cave-it is one of those "hightened" experiences! Whatever you do, keep having fun.
smooches
miss dorkusbutt

Anonymous said...

Hi dear Rebecca. Where are you? No blog information for a couple of weeks. You must have gotten intensely interested in something. Love ya. Uncle Michael

Nancy said...

Hey Rebecca, are you out there somewhere? No updates from you for quite some time & dear old Auntie is starting to worry a wee bit about ya! Where in the world is Martzy???????
Love, Aunt Nancy

Anonymous said...

Happy Summer! My computer was down and I lost your blog site, but obviously things are back to normal. Normal, and boring compared to the adventure you are leading. I told Bill I am so proud of you, living life to the fullest! He said you are the most free spirited person he knows. We are happy you are there. School is out, and I am slowly integrating homeschooling into our lives. Yet, I am trying to give the boys a summer break. They are growing and beautiful. Dakota has quite the since of humor. Typical baby of the family, always cracking a joke. And Dawson is getting quite the sense of humor too, so it is fun. They are 7 & 5 now. I went to Scottsdale for my 40th bday. It was actually a lot of fun, and beautiful. I've never seen anything like it before. My sister and I went horseback riding through the desert. Out there are the typical cactus that you think of when you think of the desert. They do not grow arms until they are 75 years old. And if they have more than 5 arms, they are over 200 years old. Just had to tell you that, because I thought you might want to learn something non-European. Well, I am babbling. Life is good and going smooth, other than we have these crazy neighbors (actually I think I drove them there!).
Take Care! Love, Michelle